Crazy Uncle Ryan's favorite quotes


"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."— Arthur C. Clarke

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

“You’re very talented. I would know; I’m very talented too.” – The super early sneak peak of GLEE

Last night I watched the pilot for FOX’s new show Glee. I thought it was a pretty good show and I had a fun time watching it. However, I almost didn’t end up watching it at all. I found out yesterday while reading online that though the pilot was airing that night the show was not actually going to be running until fall. After reading this I was a little confused as to why they were bothering to air the pilot so far in advance. The reason has to do with the fact that it is a musical comedy so they wanted to air it right after an episode of American Idol as a way of giving it greater exposure and hopefully, ensuring a bigger audience in the fall.
That being said, this looks like it will be a good show with some really funny characters. It revolves a teacher Mr. Schuester (played by Matthew Morrison) who is trying to resurrect the school’s defunct glee club. He naturally ends up with a bunch of lovable misfits and one little diva named Rachel (played by newcomer Lea Michele) who has an incredible voice. From the previews I had seen I was expecting Rachel to be really annoying but she actually pulls off the diva routine in a way that is cute and endearing. As a matter of fact, when I heard her sing “On my own” from Les Misérables that was when I really started thinking that I would end up liking the show.
One thing I found a little strange about this show is how it seems to revolve around the same view of high school clicks as you see in High School Musical. In this high school if you are a jock you are essentially not allowed to do anything related to music or anything else equally unsports like. Maybe I went to a weird high school but I just don’t remember it being like that. I was involved in theatre and the orchestra in high school but I was also ran track. Nobody on the track team seemed to care one bit that I spent the rest of the school year playing my little violin or putting on tights or sassy cinnamon lipstick for whatever play I happened to be in. I also remember that there were several guys on the football team who were also in the choir. But then again, I did go to school way back in the 90’s so perhaps things have changed since then. One other thing that I found a little annoying was the portrayal of one of the school cheerleaders. She is the president of the “Celibacy Club” so naturally she is portrayed as a self-righteous, semi-hypocritical, religious weirdo as well as the least desirable of all possible girlfriends. I guess that’s not too surprising considering the values of Hollywood.Anyway, looks like a fun show with great music. I look forward to watching it in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment